According to ANAD:
- Eating disorders affect at least 9% of the population worldwide.
- 9% of the U.S. population, or 28.8 million Americans, will have an eating disorder in their lifetime.
- Less than 6% of people with eating disorders are medically diagnosed as “underweight.”
- 28-74% of risk for eating disorders is through genetic heritability.
- Eating disorders are among the deadliest mental illnesses, second only to opioid overdose.
- 10,200 deaths each year are the direct result of an eating disorder—that’s one death every 52 minutes.
- About 26% of people with eating disorders attempt suicide.
- The economic cost of eating disorders is $64.7 billion every year.